Monday, August 3, 2015

Introductions

Hello!
My name is Georgia, I am a mother and a scientist. When my second daughter was born, I started sewing, and I haven't stopped since. I've learned that if I don't sew every day I'm not nice to be around. I started sewing baby clothes because they don't require much fabric. I also had a general hatred for the pink and purple obsession in retail stores. Up until now, her clothes have been supplemented by thrift store buys and gifts from Grandma. I've decided that from this point forward, I am committed to making all of her clothes. I would like to expand that to include my own and older daughter's clothes, but that is a whole other can of worms I'm not ready to open yet.

I created this blog to explore some of the ethical issues with the fashion industry, more specifically the children's fashion industry and fast fashion trends. I also hope to form a compilation of free patterns that work for me and provide tutorials for some of my favorite designs, for those who may also want to make their own kid's clothes. And for those who don't, I want to highlight some of the more ethical alternatives to the major retailer brands.

I am unhappy with how the fashion industry, among many other industries, depends on outsourcing and paying people next to nothing to make their products in unsafe conditions so that we can pay discount prices here in the U.S., while the retailers are still making huge profits to pay their corporate suits huge salaries. I encourage you to take action to change the way the fashion industry works by using your buying power and/or sewing skills!

I am looking forward to where this blog may take me. Please subscribe, and always feel free to contact me!

Georgia




No comments:

Post a Comment