Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Utility apron DIY

I made a couple of these for a friend recently, and I like how they turned out. I wanted an apron, but I was going for a less girly kind of thing, and I decided on a waitress style apron, which could also double as a tool belt.


I picked up this blue canvas-y stuff for apron #1 a while back at the thrift store, and the yellow squares fabric was a more recent find that I couldn't wait to use for something. The purple and white fabric is from Treadle Yard Goods in Saint Paul. I finally finished off the yard I bought. I used it for this dress for an awesome little girl:


I had this salmon colored webbing in the drawer that I changed my mind about on a previous project, and I think the colors work great together (I'm not sure my husband agreed). 


After I finished apron #1, I remembered this awesome belt I picked up at a thrift store a while ago.


It has metal hardware and a hook on the end of the strap so that the loose end stays put. I thought it would work great, so of course I made another apron. His and hers, I guess. I bought the octopus canvas at Joann's because who can pass up fabric with octopi? Not me. I've been saving it because I couldn't bring myself to cut it. The denim on the front and natural canvas on the back of the second apron are from thrift stores. 

Making the apron!


To make this apron is very simple , 5 steps. I knocked it out in less than half an hour. By the way, this is only my second attempt at a tutorial, and I'm learning that I can't take enough pictures! I hope it is clear, even if I'm missing a couple of photos.

Step 1. Cut 4 pieces of fabric. 

Cut two pieces (one front fabric, one back fabric) for the main part of the apron, 23"W x 15"H. Cut two pocket pieces (one front fabric, one lining fabric), 23"W x 9"H. If you are using heavy fabric, like canvas, you don't need interfacing. However if you are using lighter weight fabric, cut two pieces of medium or heavy weight iron on interfacing, 23" x 15" and 23" x 5". Iron the large interfacing piece to the back main fabric, and the smaller interfacing to the pocket lining.



Step 2. Sew the pocket and pocket lining together.

Place the two pocket pieces right sides together. Sew along the top edge with a 3/8" seam allowance. Turn the seam to the inside, press, and topstitch 1/4" to 3/8" from the seam. 



Step 3. Split the pocket into 3 pockets. 

Place the pocket, wrong sides together, on top of the main apron front piece, lining up the raw edges at the bottom. Now we want to separate the pocket into three smaller pockets. Mark a line straight down using a fabric marker or tailor's chalk about 7 1/2" from either side. Sew down one line, then sew another line 1/4"from the first line. Backstitch several times at the top of the stitch lines to make it extra secure. Repeat on the other side. You could use contrasting thread for the topstitching for a different look. I hope you can see the lines on the first picture below. I didn't want them to be visible so I used matching thread.



Step 4. Sew it all together.

Now sew the back of the apron to the front, right sides together, leaving about 5" open along the top edge for turning it right side out. Trim the edges, and turn right side out. Press, making sure to press the opening so it stays straight.




Step 5. Sew on the strap/belt.

Sew two rows of stitches, one at the top of the strap and one at the bottom. Sew one x-box on either side of the apron to secure the strap to the apron (see second photo below). The second belt I used was extra thick so I did two rows of stitches on top and bottom and x-boxes. Add the buckle and strap-holder thingys if needed.




Happy sewing! Feel free to contact me with any questions!



No comments:

Post a Comment